Rest day in Sagada

These Jeepneys are a common public transportation option.

On the ride to Bontoc I was passed by several motorcycle clubs since it's Friday I suspect.  I also ran into 2 British birders and guide who showed me great views of 2 flame-breasted fruit doves - spectacular birds.  The next day I rode up to Maligcong for a hike and more terraces, these still in use and even being repaired.  Massive amounts of hand labor!Had good luck with birds too. The ride to Sagada went down a river valley before the inevitable climb.
Sagada has plenty of Filipino tourists and a few foreigners, many fewer than pre-COVID I'm told.  Interesting to be in a tourist town in both bad (you're supposed to get a guide to do anything, lots of hotels/guesthouses, souvenir shops, higher prices) and good:
Yougurt and lemon pie with decent local coffee.
Bryan's loop is going well, but he was rained out today so it'll likely be a while before we ride together.  I'll head for the coast and likely some beach time when I leave here.  We've booked ferry tickets from Manila to Dumaguete on Negros Island for 2/11 and will bus to Manila for that.  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

and we're off!

On to Oregon

Travel, reentry and reflections