End of the ride - Tirana

I'm back where I started 2 months ago after a most excellent Western Balkans circuit of more than 2000 km.  Before getting back to logistics (packing bike) and admin (securing negative covid test required by US) tasks, here's an update on the past few days in Albania. 

My base for the trip to Theth was Shkoder, a very pleasant city with an excellent hostel. 
On the way into town I had the first surprise rain of the trip and ducked under a car wash roof.


Quite bike-friendly.

I took two days to ride to Tirana with a trip to a coastal nature preserve.  These were the hottest days of the trip, but I've crossed paths with many touring cyclists who have long ways to go. 
The navigation software gave me a low traffic route!
I guess the south leans Democrat (remember Hillary statue? ) and the north Republican.

Friendly coffee break in the shade.
Huge abandoned communist-era fertilizer plant.

Skanderberg, from 15th century, is the national hero.
Dominique and I enjoyed comparing notes.

Since reentering Albania I've noticed that horses (and bicycles) are still used for cargo hauling and other work.  I also see more manual agricultural labor, like men scything hay.  And of course:
This one guarding a trail from Montenegro. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

and we're off!

On to Oregon

Travel, reentry and reflections