an excellent day

Vlore to Himare.

Bonus 1 - had a companion, Jared, an American working online and living all over.

The route looked daunting and the climbing was STEEP, but we ate at the top (no beer due to 3k descent to follow). Then the scenery went nuts Bonus 2. I knew tomorrow would be hilly, but not how much. On the original plan it would be more than 7000', yikes! I decided the weather, time and energy were favorable so rode on to Himare for another 1500'+ of climbing. 

I found my way to the hostel, but it looked closed and under construction. After I closed the gate I started looking for a new place when the owner found me. He gave me a private beachfront room and is a great host - Bonus 3.

Monasteries and Orthodox churches started appearing after the pass and I had souvlaki for dinner, must be nearing Greece!

Feeling grateful for good health, friends and family.



























Comments

  1. We also stayed in a private beachfront room in Himarë, but we took 2.5 days to get from Vlorë to Himarë. You must have had a very long day. That's a beautiful section of coast with great views from the road.

    I stopped and took the same photo you did:

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/bryandkeith/6537150457/

    looks like there's (just a little) more snow now than In December (2011). We had a fair bit of wind and rain and huge storm one night between Vlorë and Himarë. Maybe that's why it took us so long?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

and we're off!

On to Oregon

Travel, reentry and reflections